Anjaparvanda Subbaiah was Born in Madikeri . He is a famous Kodava sportsperson who won many awards.
Anjaparvanda C Bopaiah
Anjaparvanda ( Maleyanda ) D Muthamma
Anjaparvanda ( Buttiyanda ) Preetha Subbaiah
He did his Schooling in St. Michaels High School, Madikeri. Completed his Pre University from Field Marshall Cariappa College in Madikeri. He went to Bangalore St. Josephs Arts & Science College to complete his degree. Product of Sports Authority of India Hostel Bangalore.
- He captained the Bangalore University Hockey team and won the all India Inter-University Hockey tournament. Represented Karnataka in Junior & Senior state team for many years.
- Subbaiah joined Air India in 1989 and has represented the airline’s hockey team over many years.
- He has been involved in the game of Hockey for over 30 years and has represented the national team in more than 285 international matches.
- Between 1988 and 1998, he took part in over 285 international fixtures, several gold, silver and bronze medals.
- He represented India in Barcelona Olympics in 1992.
- Led the India International Hockey team 1993.
- He represented the World cup in 1994 and Atlanta Olympics in 1996 besides three Asian games winning one Gold and two silver medals.
- Subbaiah led the Bangalore University’s hockey team in 1986-87.
- He was honored with Karnataka Rajyostva award in 1993.
- Arjuna award in 1997.
- Ekalavya award in 2003.
- Karnataka Olympic association award for life time achievement in 2010.
In the recent league tournament fixtures, he donned a new role, that of a commentator. He continues his services to the game by acting as the coach, Manager, umpire, administrator and selector.
Anjaparavanda Subbaiah has represented India for the past 12 years in various tournaments. He was cruelly sacked from the Indian team from the World Cup due to backroom politics.
Subbaiah’s best games were in the 1994 Sydney World Cup, where he made some breathtaking saves against Argentina to enable India to finish in the top six in the world. Then in the 1995 Azlan Shah tournament in Kuala Lumpur, he affected saves in the tie-breaker against Germany which enabled India to finish as champions.
Air India’s Senior Manager (In-flight Services), Bangalore and Hockey Olympian Mr A B Subbaiah has been conferred the degree of Doctor of Literature (Honoris Causa) by Mangalore University for his contribution to the field of Sports and Social service.