Bamboo shoot or Baimballe is a vegetable which is usually found in the forest during the monsoon. Tender shoots of bamboo are thinly sliced and soaked in water for two days to extract any poisonous acids. It is a mouth watering seasonal Coorg delicacy.
- Bamboo Shoot – 1/2 kg ((Soak the bamboo shoot in water overnight and drain the water in the morning for two days and on the third day cook the bamboo shoot in its original water with salt and turmeric).
- Onions – 2 1/2 (thinly sliced)
- Rice flour – 2 Tbsp
- Garlic cloves – 5-7
- Jeera powder -1/2 tsp
- Coriander powder -1 Tbsp
- Coconut grated-1 cup
- Red chilies -2-3
- Mustard seeds -1/2 tsp
- Curry leaves – few
- Cooking oil
- Cook bamboo shoot with salt and turmeric and keep aside.
- Grind the coconut with little jeera.
- In a pan, heat oil and add mustard seeds and curry leaves.
- Add garlic and Red Chilies. After a minute, add the onions and continue frying.
- Add the rice flour, remaining jeera powder, coriander powder.
- Continue frying the masala for 10-12 minutes and add the bamboo shoot.
- Mix well and add the ground coconut.
- Add 1-2 glasses of water and cover the pan with a lid.
- Boil it for a few minutes and see that the gravy is not too watery.
Serve hot with Akki Otti and add a little ghee over it.