Kuppanda(Paruvangada) Chayaa Nanjappa
Kuppanda(Paruvangada) Chayaa Nanjappa a kodava entrepreneurhttps://kodavaclan.co/kodaguheritage/entrepreneurs/ was Born in Nalkeri, in Kodagu, founder-partner of Nectar Fresh – a company with a net worth of six crore rupees and a turnover of 10 crore rupees per annum. Nectar fresh is located between Srirangapatna and Mysore, right off the Bengaluru-Mysuru highway, is creating some serious ripples in the hospitality industry. She wanted to make a difference in the lives of farmers and rural folks and in a small way, contributing to the nutritional security of India by producing natural and pure products.
She did her schooling in Christ the King Convent, Mysore. She was forced to halt her education after class 12. She did a course at the Central Bee and Research Training Institute (CBTRI) in Pune, in 2006-07.
She moved to Bengaluru and landed a job in the front office of The Chancery hotel. Few years later she wanted to start something on her own. Honey, she thought. As a Kodavathi, she had grown up with a native knowledge of spices, coffee and honey. Honey would be relatively easier to source, and took up A course at the Central Bee and Research Training Institute (CBTRI) in Pune, in 2006-07, equipped her with the knowledge and skills related to processing and preserving honey. And Nectar Fresh was born.
- They are one of the largest buyers of tribal honey. They source honey from the tribal’s and small farmers. Besides honey, they have a basket of products such as natural jams, 100% pure coffee, apple cider vinegar, spice vinegar and chia seeds.
- They produce the best and finest quality honey to replace international brands available in Indian hospitality industry.
- They were able to replace twenty years old brands from France and Germany in Le Meridian.
- They have been supplying products to ITC kitchens of India for last eight years.
- Wal- Mart is stocking their products with KVIC logo in it.
- They work with 90% team members who are uneducated. And produce high quality products. They invested in training/ equipment and suitable storage facilities to maintain the quality of their products.
- They collect honey from different parts of India, weather conditions being important.
- Infrastructure at its best to maintain high quality and Indian Institute of Crop Processing Technology have given much support in providing technological know-how.
- Nectar fresh is one of the first to manufacture jams without preservatives and artificial colours.
- Nectar Fresh is first in India to use polypropylene packaging for honey and jams in blisters/ chiplets. Without compromising quality, they have attractive designs.
- They supply 30 gm bottles of honey, orange marmalade, mixed fruit jam, apricot jam, strawberry jam, mustard sauce, tomato sauce and mayonnaise.
- Their products are available in more than 260 hotels.
- “Best Industrial Award – 2018” by Rotary Mysore Midtown
- “Business Person of the year – 2018” by ‘Dare to Dream’ Awards, in association with Mysore Chamber of Commerce and Industry (MCCI)
- Winner of Laghu Udyog Bharati Women Entrepreneur of the year MSME sector 2016-17
- Winner of Priyadarshini award in 2015-16
- Winner of CNBC women entrepreneur award in 2014-15
- Winner of FKCCI (Fedration of Karnataka Chambers of Commerce and Industry) 2014-15
- Winner of the Weekend Leader – VIT Amazing Entrepreneur Award in 2014 – 2015
- Winner of the ‘Best Entrepreneur Award’ in the field of ‘Food Processing’ from Confederation Of Women Entrepreneurs Of India in 2013-2014 (COWE).
- One of her biggest moments was Chairing the Session ‘Inspiring Women’ at the World Hindu Congress at Chicago last month & being a speaker at the Indian Science Congress on Implementing Technologies acquired by R&D labs or being a preferred resource person of APO Japan
She has been chosen by APO Japan on numerous occasions as a resource person to speak on marketing agri based food products and has also been a speaker at Indian Science Congress. She is a member of the executive committee of the Indian Institute of Food Processing.