Koothanda Poonacha a famous Kodava sportsperson was born in Virajpet, Coorg. He was an army personnel and extremely talented hockey professional with wide array of experience in coaching, training and leading international, national and regional level teams. He served in the Indian army as a junior commissioned officer for 18 years. He was a very passionate and professional hockey player who has experience at international, national and regional levels which is reflected by representing the Indian hockey team for 4 years and in 52 international matches. An extremely talented and effective coach with the ability to deliver winning results in coaching national and international teams.
Graduate in Bachelor of Arts, he completed his Diploma in Sports -NIS South Centre with ‘A’ Grade Diploma in Security Officer – NISM (R) 2007 with ‘A’ Grade, Diploma in Safety Officer – NISM (R) 2008 with ‘A’ Grade and completed The FIH High Performance National Coaching Course in 2011.
- India’s K K Poonacha was the Oman team coach for several years. He was associated with Oman’s domestic hockey and the national team for a very long period.
- Poonacha first served as coach from February 2010 to November 2011, during which Oman took part in the Asian Games qualifiers in Dhaka, Bangladesh and the 2010 Asian Games in Guangzhou, China.
- Poonacha, who had 52 international caps for India, took charge of Ahli-Sidab in April 2012.
- He was Oman’s coach, on an interim basis, towards the end of 2012, when the national team took part in round one of the Hockey World League in Doha, Qatar and the Asian Champions Trophy.
- Poonacha is the fourth Indian to have coached the Oman national team on a full-time basis.
- He prepared the national team for Hockey World League Round 2 and 2017 Asia Cup. Oman took part in the World Hockey League Round 2 in Dhaka, Bangladesh from March 4-17, 2017.
- Poonacha had led Ahli Sidab to a third-place finish in the HM Cup Championship.
Career Record as a coach
- He was coach during the 3rd Hockey India Senior Men National 2013 held at Pune and won Bronze Medal.
- Oman National Hockey Team coach from April 2010 to January 2013.
- Asian Games Qualifying – Winners in Bangladesh in 2010
- Asian Games Guangzhou in 2010 placed 7th
- Asian Hockey Champions Trophy held at Doha in2012 placed fifth.
- Air India Hockey Team from April 2006 to March 2008
- Services Hockey Team in 2005 (61st Senior Nationals held at Hyderabad)
- Hyderabad Sultans in 2005
- Significant Achievement:
- Winners of 1st Premier Hockey League
- Junior India in 2004 (Indo – France Test Series held at Hyderabad)
- Army XI from 2001 to 2006
- Asc Hockey Team from1997 to 2001
- India-Australia Test Series held at Australia in 1994.
- Men’s World Cup held at Sydney, Australia placed fifth in1994.
- VIII Indira Gandhi Memorial (International Hockey Tournament held at New Delhi won Silver Medal in1995.
- Four Nation Tournament held at Germany placed third in 1995.
- Indo Pan American Friendship Gold Cup Hockey Tournament won Gold Medal and was awarded “Best player of the tournament” in 1995.
- Pre-Olympics Championship held at Atlanta USA won Silver Medal in 1995.
- Champions Trophy held at Berlin, Germany in 1995.
- IX Indira Gandhi Memorial (International Hockey Tournament held at New Delhi won Silver Medal in 1996.
- Indo-Germany Test series held at India in 1998.
KK Poonacha contributed to Indian Hockey in the form of performance and achievements at National and International level. He also contributed to Indian Hockey towards the promotion and development of the game.