Kumbala Curry (Sweet Pumpkin) is yet another favourite at Kodava breakfast table. The sweet Pumpkin is packed with nutrition and is a speciality for Kaveri Shankramana
- Pumpkin-1 Kg (Green or Yellow)-Use a tender one with green skin
- Grated Coconut- 1/4 cup
- Cumin Seeds-1/2 tsp
- Mustard seeds-1tsp
- Coriander powder
- Salt to taste
- I/2 tsp turmeric powder
- Curry leaves-few
- Garlic- 3 to 4 pods
- Green chilli – 3-4 /Red chilli
- Red chilly-3
- Sugar or Jaggery for taste
- Wash and cut the Pumpkin with its skin, Scoop out the seeds. Cut into small cubes
- Grind the grated coconut, cumin seeds and the green chillies to a fine paste
- Place the Pumpkin pieces in a pan with just enough water to cover it.
- Add turmeric powder and salt. Cook on a slow fire till tender. Take care that the pumpkin does not reduce to a pulp.
- When the pumpkin is cooked, add the ground coconut masala and coriander powder and stir well. If the pumpkin is not sweet enough add sugar or Jaggery for taste .Let this boil for a few minutes
- In a separate pan, heat oil for tempering.
- When hot, put in the mustard seeds and allow it to splutter.
- Next, add the red chilli and garlic.
- When the garlic becomes slight brown, add the curry leaves. Turn off the heat.
- Add this seasoning to the Pumpkin curry and stir well.
Serve hot with Akki otti or Dosa.