Major General Moovera C Nanjappa AVSM**,YSM -Indian Army
Major General Moovera Chinnappa Nanjappa(Retd army officer) was born on 3rd July,1945 in Kodagu.
Moovera Rani Nanjappa
Son: Rahul Nanjappa
Daughter: Nellamakkada Rajini
He completed his Graduation from Mysore University (Govt College,Madikeri)and did his M.Sc Defence studies from Madras University.
- Major General Nanjappa was commissioned in the Army(The Rajput Regiment) in 1967.
- He served in almost all parts of the country during his service as an Army officer and held various command,staff and instructional (Teaching) assignments.
- He also attended the Defence Service Staff College Course in Wellington and Higher Command Course in the War College,Mhow.
- As a young officer, he took part in 1971 Indo-Pak war and in which he was awarded “Mention in Despatches” for Gallantry.
- He Commanded an Infantry Battalion in Sri Lanka during 1987-88 as a part of IPKF .
- He commanded an Infantry Brigade during the active insurgency in the line of control in Jammu & Kashmir in 1995-96.
- He served as Deputy Director General in Bangalore, Recruiting, Karnataka, Kerala, and Goa from 1998-2000.
- He was then promoted to a higher rank of Major General and took over the command of an Infantry Division in active insurgency in the Northern Kashmir in 2001.
- He worked as the additional Director General,recruiting in the Army Head quarters, New Delhi up to 31 July,2003.
- For his distinguished service in Jammu & Kashmir on 26 January,2003 he was once again awarded Bar to AVSM.
- He was awarded “Yudh Seva Medal”(YSM) for his distinguished service in Sri Lanka (IPKF).
- He was awarded “Ati Vishist Seva Medal”(AVSM)for his distinguished service in Jammu & Kashmir on 26 January,1998.
He retired from the service on 31st July,2003 and settled in Bangalore.After his retirement he is actively involved in the welfare of Ex-servicemen of Karnataka and he is the Chief Patron of National Ex-servicemen Co-ordination Committee Karnataka.
His Son Mr Moovera Rahul Nanjappa is also an Army officer.