Mandepanda Dr Pushpa Kuttanna
Mandepanda Dr Pushpa Kuttanna(PhD) was born on 12th December, 1949 in Kodagu. As a sportsperson she was the first woman from South India to represent the country in Basketball probably she was the first women to Head an institution of higher Education with a rare combination of sports and academic excellence. She completed her education from the University of Mysore. Participated in many National and International basket ball tournaments.
- 1 Family
- 2 Education
- 3 Academic Achivements:
- 4 International Level Participation – Basketball
- 5 Awards
Kuttanda Ruby Dechavva
- Son: Mandepanda Pavan Bopanna
- Daughter: Theethimada Nishi Somanna
- M A in Sociology ( 2nd Rank ) 1971
- P.G.Diploma in Women Studies ( 1st Rank )2002
- Ph.D in Sociological Study of Kodava Plantation Owners in 2004 from Mysore University
- A minor Project on the Sociological Study of Kodava Plantation Owners in Kodagu.
- Project report submitted to the centre for Women Studies on Marriage related issues among Kodavas.
- Seminar on “Agrarian order in colonial Coorg” organized by Field Marshal K.M Cariappa College, Madikeri in 1993.
- “Importance of Preservation of wild life”organized by Field Marshal K.M Cariappa College,Madikeri.
- Samaja shastra Sammelana, Manasagangothri Mysore, University of Mysore in 1997.
- Forest resource Management and People’s Participation, Mysore organized by CIDA Shathry Project Team & University of Mysore in 2001.
- Conference on “Distance Education” organized by Karnataka State Open University, Mysore in 2003.
- One day programme at KSOU, Mysore in 2003.
- Two days State level workshop on “Modern Methods of teaching” Organised by Bangalore University and Vidhyavardaka Sangh in 2003.
- Workshop on “Planning and Management of KSOU” study centres Karnataka State open University,Mysore in 2003.
- Fifth State Level Sociological conference at philomina’s College in 2005.
- Regional Level ICSSR Sponsored Seminar on Identity,Equality & Social Transformation at Field Marshal K.M Kariappa College Kodagu in 2005.
- UGC sponsored state Level seminar Enlightenment for progress strengthening of Undergraduate education on Humanities in 2006.
- ICSSR sponsored Regional Seminar on Challenges of Agricultural Sector in the Era of Globalization at Field Marshal K.M Kariappa College,Kodagu in 2007.
- State Level Seminar on “Ancient Doctrines and its “Relevance in Present Scenario” organized by Heritage Club & Eco.Dept.Field Marshal K.M Kariappa College,Kodagu in 2008.
- A member of Academic Council,Kaveri College,Gonikoppal & Virajpet Kodagu.
- As a resourse person, took classes for police trainees on Sociological issues in 2013.
- All India Sociological Conference organized by St.Aloysius College Mangalore in 1993.
- All India Conference of Indian Social Service Association organised by St.Aloysius College Mangalore in 2003.
- National Seminar on “Improving the quality of Teaching and Learning in the class Room” organised by total Quality Management Centre, MGM College Udupi in 2004.
- National Integration Camp Field Marshal K.M Kariappa College Kodagu in 2006.
- NAAC sponsored National Seminar Quality initiatives in accredited Institutions,sustenance & Enhancement St.Aloysius College Mangalore in 2005.
- NAAC sponsored National Seminar the role of primary stake holders in quality Enhancement of higher Education for women. Cauvery women’s College, Virajpet Kodagu in 2006.
- National Level seminar. Learner centered Teaching -New paradigms Dynamics & Dimensions,Field Marshal K.M Kariappa College Kodagu in 2006.
- National Level seminar. Values of excellence the Administration in Mysore in 2006.
- National Level xxx11 All India Sociological society conference in University of madras in 2006.
- Attended Career Oriented Program Interface meeting in UGC New Delhi in 2007.
- National Seminar 1837 Amar Sullia Struggle in Kannada Vishwa Vidhyalaya Hampi in 2007.
- National Seminar on National knowledge Commissions Recommendations on higher Education Dept & Centre for Educatinal & Social Studies in 2007.
- UGC sponssored Terrorism & its impact on Indian economy at Field Marshal K.M Cariappa College in 2011.
- International Intra disciplinary Conference on Frontiers of Astronomy IICFA in 2009 held at Field Marshal K.M Cariappa College Madikeri.
- Member of BOAE, Mangalore University 2004-06.
- Member of Local Inquiry Committee, Mangalore University 2004-2005.
- Member of board of studies,Mangalore University 2005-07
- Syndicate Member,Mangalore University 2008-09
- Academic Council Member,Mangalore University 2009
- Member of Mangalore University, Sports Advisory committee 2009-10.
- Member of Kodava culture study centre, Mangalore University.
- Member of International Sociological Association.
- Member of Mangalore Sociology Association.
- Member of Karnataka Sociology Association.
- Member of All India Sociology Association.
- Life Member of Youth Hostels Association of India, Madikeri
- Member of District Juvenile welfare Board.
- Life Member of Kodagu Vijnana Parishat Kodagu District.
- Rendered service as a nominated member of monitoring cum management committee(SPDA) sports Authority of India, Centre Madikeri, Kodagu.
- Member of book selection committee,District library, Madikeri.
- Member of book selection committee “Sakshra Kavery, Kodagu District.
- Life Member of Bharathiya Vidhya Bhavan.
- A Member of BVB & KVK school Management Committee.
- Changing Pattern of Family – A study of Okka System in Kodagu in 1v Karnataka Sociology Conference, Hassan 2001.
- Reproductive Technologies &women, Refresher Course, Jawaharlal Nehru University Delhi in 1993.
- The process of Socialization & sports Refresher Course, Jawaharlal Nehru University Delhi in 1992.
- Parent Child relationship. An Analysis from Sociological perspective Seminar organized by Rotary Club, Mandya 1980.
- Impetus to Education in Kodagu free from Gender bias.
International Level Participation – Basketball
- EXPO- 70 Basketball championship Japan, Osaka 1970
- 3rd Asian Basketball Championship, Kaulalampur, Malaysia 1970
- Invitational Basketball championship Colombo, Srilanka 1971
- 9th Asian Basketball championship Tokyo,Japan, 1982
- Best sports person award in 1970.
- State award by the Government of karnataka in 1972.
- Gold Medal by Kodagu District Hockey Association in 1972.
- Felicitated by Maharani’s College, Mysore on the occasion of Diamond Jubilee Celebration in 1990.
- Felicitated by Government women’s College, Mandya on the occasion of Silver Jubilee Celebration in 1991.
- Felicitated by Mysore University on the occasion of South Zone intercollegiate, basketball Championship at Mysore,1993.
- Award given by “Coorg Education Fund Board, Madikeri in 2003.
- Felicitated by Mysore Medical College, Rajiv Gandhi University 2009 at Mysore.
- Karnataka Olympic Association Award at Rajbhavan, Bangalore in 2010.
- Felicitated by Karnataka state Basketball Assocation in 2013.
Almost 3 decades ago she proved that a girl child can do wonders in this world regardless of archaic social norms. She has the credit of forming a women’s team in Basketball, and has the credit of constituting a women’s self help group and contributed immensely for their empowerment. As the principal of the College, she introduced many innovative practices in Administration, Academic, Co-curricular and extra curricular fields. Her Quest for knowledge and quality has set new standards and enable the college institutionalize several best practices. Her dedication and hard work made the institution reach greater heights during her tenure and a citation was presented by the staff of FMKC on the day of her retirement. She adopted a holistic approach for the development of the institution be it infrastructure growth or instilling high level of confidence in students and Teachers. She believes in team work and said that team work brought laurels to the institution. The college underwent the process of NAAC assessment and accreditation twice and secured B++ and A grades in 2011 during her tenure.
As a Teacher she motivated the students to take part in sports and extra Curricular activities. She has high regards for her family members for all their support.