Muddi Chekke Curry
Muddi Chekke Curry is another delicacy from Coorg. The texture is so different and the cleaning process is abit messy and tedious but it is worth cooking this recipe.
- 1 small raw Jackfruit tender and fresh
- ¼ cup Black Gram Dal, soaked overnight and cooked with a pinch of salt till done
- ¼ tsp Turmeric powder
- ½ tsp Coriander powder
- ½ tsp Chilli powder
- ½ tsp Jeera powder
- 1 cup fresh coconut, grated and ground to a fine paste
- ½ tsp thick tamarind juice
- Salt to taste
- 3 tbsps oil
- ¼ tsp mustard seeds
- 1 onion finely chopped
- 8-10 curry leaves
- Cut the Jackfruit in small cubes.
- Put the cut pieces into water for 5 minutes. Drain out the water and mix the cut Jack fruit pieces with turmeric powder, Chilli powder, and salt. Let it sit for a few minutes.
- Boil the Jackfruit pieces in a little water (1/2 cup) in a pressure cooker (2 whistles).
- In a thick bottomed pan, heat the oil. When hot, add the mustard seeds and allow it to splutter. Next, add the chopped onions and fry till it turns transparent. Now add the curry leaves and fry for a minute.
- Add the boiled Jackfruit and the cooked black gram with its water. Let this boil for 5-8 minutes. Add the coconut paste, coriander powder, jeera powder and mix well. Cook this mixture for another 5 minutes till the gravy is slightly thick. Then add the tamarind juice and mix well. If the gravy seems too thick, add a little of water and let the curry boil for a few Turn off the heat.
Goes well with Akki Otti with a little ghee .