Noolputt: Gadhala for every occasion in Kodagu be it Mangala, Naming ceremony, Engagement etc… The soft delicate strands of noolputtu can be eaten at breakfast, lunch or dinner.
- 1 Cup –Noolputt Thari (Akki Thari)
- 2 cups –water
- 1tsp –Ghee
- Salt as per taste
- ½ tsp Cardamom Powder (optional)
- Bring the water to boil and add cardamom, ghee and salt.
- Add the Akki Thari and keep stirring constantly to avoid lumps.
- Keep stirring until all the water is absorbed and starts thickening. The mixture is ready when it forms a thick dough and comes out clean from the sides and bottom. Cover the vessel and leave it on low flame for about 5 minutes.
- Remove from fire and leave it aside for 5 minutes. Place a bowl of water with little ghee in it and moisten your palms. When the dough is ready to handle make the dough into cylindrical shape dumplings. Make sure it’s big enough to fit into the Noolputt vara (Press).
- Place a muslin cloth inside the syakala and arrange the cylindrical shaped dumplings and fold the muslin cloth over and close the lid.
- Steam it for approximately 20 minutes.
- Put the steamed balls into the Noolputt Vara and press. Make sure you work it quickly when the dumplings are hot.Collect the Noolput in a saucer/Plate by moving it slow in a spiral motion to form compact swirls.
- Transfer the puttus to a surface lined with a dampened cloth.
Best eaten with Belath neer, koli curry, Kori Erachi curry etc…..