Prof. Kattera Appanna Suresh (Scientist)
Prof. Kattera Appanna Suresh (Scientist) was born on 28th July 1948 at Hudikeri village,Kodagu. He retired from Raman Research Institute as a Professor. Presently he is a Scientist of Eminence at the Centre for Soft Matter Research, Bangalore. Professor Suresh has made some significant contributions in the area of Physics of Liquid Crystals and Surface Science.
Kattera D Appanna
- He had his early education at Secunderabad and Hudikeri.
- B.Sc degree from St. Philomena’s College, Mysore – 1967
- M.Sc from Manasa Gangothri, University of Mysore, Mysore-1969
- Phd from Raman Research Institute -1979
- Prof. Suresh started his career as Lecturer at Siddaganga Science College, Tumkur in 1969. He was Head of the Department of Physics during 1971-72.
- He joined Raman Research Institute as Research Fellow in 1972 and continued in that position up to 1977.
- He was Scientist from 1977-1984 and Senior Scientist from 1984-1992. During 1992-1997 he was Associate Professor and in 1977 he became Professor.
- He retired from Raman Research Institute as Professor in 2007. After retirement Prof. Suresh moved to Centre for Liquid Crystal Research as Director during 2008 – July 2010.
- From August 2010 onwards he has been Scientist of Eminence at Centre for Soft Matter Research (Formerly Centre for Liquid Crystal Research).
- Prof. Suresh was Joliot Curie Fellow, College de France, Paris during May – November 1983.
- From January 1986 – January 1987, he was Research Scientist, Dowell Schlumberger and St. Etienne, France.
- He was a visiting scientist, Carnegie Mellon University, Pittsburgh, USA from January 1987 – May 1989.
- During 1993 he was a Visiting Professor both at Curie Institute, Paris and Politecnico di Torino, Torino, Italy.
- He visited Liquid Crystal Institute, Kent State, University, Kent, USA during July – August 1996.
- From July – August, 2003 he was visiting Professor at Tokyo University of Science, Yamaguchi, Japan.
- Prof. Suresh visited Department of Physics, Kent State University, Kent, USA during June – December, 2004.
- From June – July, 2006, he was Visiting Professor, Georgia Institute of Technology, Atlanta, USA. During July – August 2010, Prof Suresh visited Institute of Solid State Physics, Bulgarian Academy of Sciences, Sofia, Bulgaria.
- Prof. Suresh had the honour of Joliot Curie Fellow, College de France, Paris in 1983. He was elected as Fellow of National Academy of Sciences, India in 1997. He was elected as Fellow of Indian National Science Academy (INSA) in 2009.
- Prof. Suresh was a member, Programme Advisory Committee, Condensed Matter Physics and Material Science, Department of Science and Technology, New Delhi during 2001–2007.
- He was a member, Academic Council Jawaharlal Nehru University, New Delhi from 2002–2005.
- During 2006–2009,he was member, Committee on Emergent Technologies, Department of Science and Technology.
- From 2007 onwards he is a member, FIST Programme, Department of Science and Technology, Chairman, Programme Advisory Committee, Condensed Matter Physics and Material Science, Department of Science and Technology and President of Indian Liquid Crystal Society.
- He is a Member Secretary, International Liquid Crystal Society, Kent, OH, USA from 2004.