Thaliya Putt is an authentic recipe from Coorg. Thalia putt is quite similar to sanna’s but the only difference is the addition of urad dal . Thaliya means plate in Kodava thak and since the putt is made in a plate it is called Thaliya putt
- 1 Cup Rice
- ½ Cup cooked rice
- ½ Cup Urad Dal
- 1 Tsp Methi Seeds
- 1 Cup Coconut milk
- 2 tsp Sugar
- ¼ tsp Baking soda
- Salt to taste
- Soak the raw rice, urad dal and methi seeds with enough water for 6 hrs.
- Drain the water and grind the soaked ingredients into a fine batter then add the cooked rice and grind till it forms a smooth batter.
- Transfer the ground mixture into a dish and add the coconut milk and sugar and mix well.
- Cover the dish with a lid and leave it in a warm place overnight for it to ferment well.
- Add salt and baking soda in the morning and mix well. See that the batter is fermented well and the batter is raised a little.
- Grease the plate with oil and pour the batter and steam it in a syakala or a steamer for 15 to 20 mins.
- Best served with mutton curry, chicken curry and different variety of chutney’s.