Therme toppu is known as bracken fieldheads .They are edible, and are considered a delicacy in Coorg. The tender shoots of this wild ferns are picked which appears in early spring as fiddlehead shaped shoots. These shoots taste good steamed, boiled, in soups, sauteed or stir-fried, A classic way to cook and serve them is sauteed with just some butter or oil and seasoning.
- Therme toppu
- Mustard seed
- Dry red chilli to taste
- Chopped onions
- Lime juice or kachampuli
- Salt to taste
- 1-2 tbsp cooking oil
- Clean and Chop the therme toppu in cold water.
- Heat oil in a pan (Add oil according to the quantity of therme toppu) and add mustard, chopped onions and red chilli and saute until it turns translucent. Add the chopped therme toppu and mix well.
- Add salt as per taste and cover the vessel for 15-20 minutes. Make sure you saute it every now and then.
- Add Kachampuli as per taste when the therme toppu is hot and mix well before serving.
- If you’re adding lime juice, let it cool and then add as per taste and mix well.
Otti with Therme toppu is all time favourite for kodavas.