Yasmin Ponnappa an eminent person from Kodagu is an Indian film Actor, who has worked predominantly in Tamil movie industry. She is a model who debuted in a de-glamourized role in the Tamil movie ‘Aaranya Kaandam’.
- Bachelor of Arts, BA –Bangalore University
Yasmin Ponnappa began her career as a model in Bangalore. She modelled part-time in Bangalore and took it up full-time when she moved to Mumbai. However, unlike the international movie star, she didnt aspire to be an actress, and her debut, the Tamil film Aaranya Kaandam, happened by chance.
- She landed a contract with the Elite Model Management agency, and initially appeared in commercials for Nivea Deodorant and Tropicana juice. She later garnered attention for her work with Opulex diamond bracelets
- She made her acting debut in Thiagarajan Kumararaja’s Tamil gangster film Aaranya Kaandam in 2011, after being approached by the director who had spotted her face on a hoarding in Chennai.
- The film was honoured with two National Film Awards for Best Editing and Best Debut Film of a Director category respectively. Yasmin won rave reviews for her portrayal of Subbu in the movie.
- The film was screened at the South Asian film Festival in New York in early 2011 and won the Grand jury Award. The movie depicts a day in the life of its six protagonists, one of whom is Subbu, played by Yasmin.
- Yasmin was one of the four girls shortlisted for Latika’s role in Danny Boyle’s ‘Slumdog Millionaire’. She did a reading session with Danny Boyle, but lost out on the role that ultimately went to Freida Pinto.
- In August 2014, Yasmin shot for a music video titled “The Madras Song”, produced by the Murugappa Group as a tribute to the city of Madras, which was celebrating its 375th year.
- In 2017, Yasmin worked on a short film titled Kalki directed by Dhilip Kumar and co-starring Kishore. The short film featured her in dual roles of Kalki and Radhika and was released in May 2017.
- He was honoured with Vogue beauty award by Vogue India
- She was Femina 50 most beautiful women in India